Need Lawyer? Call Now
Hablamos Español
Call for a FREE Consultation
Call Us 24 Hours/7 Days a Week
Hablamos Español
Frequently Asked Questions
If you or a loved one suffered a personal injury caused by another’s negligence, we may have answers to the questions you’re asking.
Home » FAQ » Child Injuries » Can I sue child’s day care facility for not reporting the suspected abuse?

Can I sue child’s day care facility for not reporting the suspected abuse?

My ex-husband has custody of our child while I serve my country overseas. My child has been going to daycare with bruises for weeks and the daycare providers never reported it to me or any authorities. Now my boy has a broken hand that will cause permanent damage. Can I sue my child’s daycare facility for not reporting the suspected abuse?

A: Not if the facility is in Florida, you can’t. Only the State of Florida can sue the daycare facility in that situation because Florida courts have ruled that Florida law does not provide a private right of action for such injuries. Section 415.504 of Florida Statutes mandates that certain people and entities like daycare providers, doctors, and police report suspected child abuse or neglect. However, Florida courts say the law does not allow parents to sue, that only the State of Florida can.

The law is different in California where the law empowers parents with the right to sue in such situations. If you think Florida has it wrong on this topic like we do, please write to your state lawmaker and let your opinion be heard.

For more questions and concerns on this case, we have the experienced lawyers at Zimmet & Zimmet Law Firm.

Contact Us Today
For a Free Case Evaluation
Daytona Beach Injury Lawyer Ron Zimmet Jr
Ronald Zimmet Jr.
Founder and Senior Member of Zimmet & Zimmet

Mr. Zimmet has practiced trial law in Central Florida since 1975 and currently represents plaintiffs in the areas of personal injury, nursing malpractice, and medical malpractice.