The True Cost of Nursing Home Abuse
By Team at Zimmet & Zimmet, In Personal injury, 0 Comments
Placing a loved one in a nursing home is fraught with difficulties, and it can be hard to accept that an aging family member needs more care than you alone are able to provide. This decision is made evenharder by fears that your loved one may receive inferior or, at worst, abusive care in your absence. On top of the emotional toll that nursing home abuse can take on the elderly and their families, other unforeseen expenses can accrue.
Nursing Home Abuse Costs
The true costs of nursing home abuse are much higher than many people realize. Because these cases are so difficult, many victims and their families will seek the advice of a lawyer when trying to quantify these costs.
When seeking to recover damages after discovering that your loved one has been a victim of abuse, your attorney will try to reach a settlement that covers the costs associated with a variety of non-economic and economic expenses, including:
- Moving Expenses, such as expenses related to relocating your loved one’s belongings and moving them into a safer environment.
- In-Home Care. After a loved one has suffered nursing home abuse, many families are reluctant to place them back into a similar type of facility. Instead, they decide to shoulder the high costs associated with hiring a home care nurse and purchasing in-home medical equipment.
- Medical Treatment– Abused seniors may require long hospital stays and ongoing care because of injuries sustained as a result of the abuse and neglect they endured. This can result in substantial medical expenses that can financially overwhelm already struggling families.
- Therapy– Abused seniors may suffer from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and other psychological traumas, which can result in months or even years of therapy and psychological treatment.
- Legal Costs –There are costs associated with filing lawsuits and working with an attorney. Any settlement you are offered should compensate for any and all legal costs you incur.
- Secondary Expenses– While you are dealing with the fallout of nursing home abuse, you and your family members may need to take time off of work to care for your loved one. You may be responsible for driving to and from hospitals, doctors offices, and law firms, resulting in lost income and vehicle-related expenses.
Protecting Abused Seniors and Families Throughout Florida
At Zimmet & Zimmet, nursing home abuse attorneys have the resources and experience needed to tackle these types of complex cases. Our attorneys will help protect your loved one from further abuse, as well as hold negligent institutions responsible for their actions. Our lawyers have considerable experience helping elderly clients and their families in the Volusia and Flager County areas to recover damages in nursing home abuse cases. Contact us at (386) 255-6400 today for a free consultation and review of your case.