Dos and Don’ts After a Slip and Fall Accident
By Team at Zimmet & Zimmet, In Personal injury
Did you know that 15% of all accidental deaths in the United States are caused by slip and fall accidents? Slip and falls are the reason for more than 8 million emergency room visits each and every year, causing a wide range of injuries, such as head trauma, broken bones, and back injuries.
Slip and fall accidents can occur anywhere, including parking lots, department stores, warehouses, and retail shops. They can be caused by inclement weather, distraction, or store negligence. If you believe that your injury was the result of a property owner’s negligence, you may have cause to file a slip and fall accident claim. Unfortunately, proving negligence after a slip and fall accident isn’t easy. You will need an experienced and skilled Florida slip and fall accident attorney on your side through the entire legal process in order to increase your chances of a successful outcome.
Dos and Don’ts after a Slip and Fall Accident
Knowing what to do and what NOT to do after a slip and fall is key to obtaining the money you need to recover. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, keep the following in mind:
- Do report your accident to the property manager, store owner, or landlord.
- Do request that the property owner or manager fill out an incident report
- Do obtain a copy of that incident report immediately
- Do seek medical help quickly even if you do not believe you’re injured
- Do take pictures of the accident scene, including wet floors, signs, or other conditions that would have contributed to your accident.
- Do get eyewitness contact information. Eyewitness testimony could be crucial when proving fault.
- Do call an experienced slip and fall accident attorney immediately
- Don’t talk to representatives of the business
- Don’t talk to private investigators after the accident
- Don’t accept any cash settlement
- Don’t sign anything without speaking to your attorney
- Don’t give a recorded statement to the insurance company
- Don’t admit fault
- Don’t discuss your accident on social media
- Don’t post pictures or statuses on social media until your claim is settled
- Don’t ignore signs of an injury
Slip and fall accidents are no laughing matter. While you may feel embarrassed at first for falling in public, don’t let these feelings cloud your judgement. Never brush off an injury or pretend you aren’t as injured as you claim to be. Demand to speak to the manager and report the incident, even if you believe it is a minor incident. Incident reports are often invaluable when filing an injury claim.
Have You Been Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident in Daytona Beach, Florida and you believe that the property owner or store manager was to blame, it is important to speak to an experienced slip and fall accident lawyer as soon as you are able. At Zimmet & Zimmet, our experienced Daytona Beach slip and fall accident lawyers are ready and willing to fight for you during this difficult time. Contact us today for a free initial consultation and review of your case. Call 386-255-6400 or fill out our confidential contact form and someone will call you back!
Tips for Proving Fault in a Slip and Fall Accident Case
Understanding Negligence in a Personal Injury Case