10 Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
By Team at Zimmet & Zimmet, In Personal injury
Motorcycle riders are almost 30 times more likely to be killed in a crash on the road than someone in a car, and about 5 times more likely to suffer injuries. As Florida motorcycle accident lawyers, we know just how potentially dangerous it can be to ride a bike on the road. And motorcycle riders know that the lack of a protective infrastructure on a bike can increase the chances of having a serious or fatal accident.
Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can have many different causes, although these 10 are the most common:
- Changing lanes suddenly or unsafely: Not signaling or not checking in the blind spot can lead to a car and a motorcycle colliding.
- Car door: A motorcycle running into a car door that’s been opened by a driver can lead to some motorcycle accidents.
- Speeding: The consequences of speeding are more serious if there is a greater impact, which is more likely the faster you are going.
- Driving under the influence: Criminal and civil liability can be the consequences of a motorcycle rider or car driver driving after having had too much to drink.
- Splitting lanes: Not only is this illegal in Florida, but it can be extremely dangerous for an inexperienced bike rider. Lane splitting is when a bike is driven between two lanes of traffic.
- Sudden stops: Serious injuries or death aren’t uncommon when a rear-end collision is caused by a bike or car stopping too suddenly and without warning.
- Inexperienced drivers: Unsafe maneuvers that lead to accidents are much more likely to be carried out by inexperienced riders.
- Left-turn accidents: It’s common for motorcycle riders to be injured and even killed by making a left turn and not accurately judging the distance, or by making a mistake with who has right of way.
- Dangerous conditions on roads: It’s easy to lose control of your bike or become distracted if you’re faced with inadequate signs or signals, potholes, debris on the road, or a crumbling road surface.
- Defective motorcycle: If your injury or death on a motorcycle is caused by a defective part, the manufacturer can be held liable.
If You Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Life changing injuries aren’t uncommon for anyone involved in a motorcycle accident, and these can include broken bones, injuries to the spinal cord and damage to the brain. And it’s not uncommon for the resulting medical treatment to run into thousands of dollars over the course of your lifetime or even hundreds of thousands. Zimmet and Zimmet are experienced Florida motorcycle accident lawyers and are standing by to help if you or a loved one have injuries resulting from a Florida motorcycle accident, regardless of the cause.
Loss of income reduced earning potential, medical bills, charges for rehab or hospital stays can all add up, and you may be entitled to financial compensation. Contact Daytona Beach’s five stars rated motorcycle accident lawyer today.